Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sniffing glue

So the sanding looks pretty good, the bridge is in place, now it's time to finish.

I was talking to my brother who built a koa guitar a few years ago and he suggested using superglue as a pore filler. I though OK we'll give it a try.

The idea is to fill the tiny pores in the wood with superglue then sand the whole thing smooth again, this should eliminate any little holes from appearing in the final finish. Since I'm gonna go for a glossy look on this rather than matte I think this will be an important step.

Here's the back, along with my expired AAA card that I'll be using to spread the superglue around.


I went to the model train store and they had an assortment of superglue....from the real runny, dries in 3 seconds kind to "gap filling", dries in 5-15 seconds on to "extra thick" dries in 15-30 seconds. I used the gap filling variety.

Here's the back.


And the front after it's been applied.


I did find a few spots where there were some gaps in the binding. Since I had the superglue out I put a little ebony sanding dust in the gaps and glued it up.

No comments: